top of page

Crisis Unit

The Orange County Sheriff's Office Crisis Intervention Unit was established in 1993 to aid and assist victims of crime in Orange County. We work together with the criminal justice system and other community agencies to provide coordinated services for victims of crime.


  • Crisis Intervention

  • Criminal and Civil Court Advocacy

  • Child Abuse Referrals

  • Criminal Warrant Guidance

  • Domestic Violence Protective Orders Guidance

  • Crime Victim's Compensation Assistance

  • Non-profit Legal Service Referrals

  • Referrals to Shelters, Therapists, etc.

  • Juvenile Services Referrals

  • On-scene Support and Crisis Intervention

  • Information and Referrals

  • Criminal Justice Advocacy

  • Personal Advocacy


North Carolina Statute 50B is very specific about who is eligible for a protective order. It is important to understand that this is a civil court action you must pursue on your own. Although civil, it is a Judge’s order and violation of it may result in criminal charges and possibly a jail sentence. The process for filing a protective order is complicated and advocacy groups are available to help you understand the process, i.e.; The Sheriff's Crisis Unit (see above).


When people are aware or believe it is occurring, they should report it as they would any other crime, by contacting one of the following:

  • The Sheriff's Crisis Unit

  • Orange County Department of Social Services

  • A school's counselors, if the child is of school age

  • A magistrate

  • or dial 911


  • Harass you

  • Trespass on your property

  • Threaten to hurt you or Assault you


You may apply to a magistrate for the issuance of a criminal process requiring that person to come to court for a trial or hearing. You must appear as a witness. If you believe that you are the victim of a crime you may also call law enforcement and ask them to take a report. In Orange County you should dial 911 for dispatch of a law enforcement officer.


You have the right to receive information about support services. You have the right to contact judicial officials about the defendant’s bond and court case. When a defendant is arrested, he or she will be brought before a magistrate or a judge and at that time, a bond and a court date will be set. You may speak to the judicial officials about bond and release conditions.

You may contact the prosecuting attorney (the District Attorney) to discuss your case by calling: (919) 644-4600

bottom of page