Sheriff's Office Frequently asked questions

Does the Sheriff’s Office provide fingerprinting?

Yes, we offer live scan Fingerprinting services provided Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30am. If you live outside Orange County we will still provide fingerprinting for you. Bring Driver’s License with your current address or passport. At the time of your appointment bring in all paperwork that needs to be submitted electronically. Cost $20.00 per fingerprint card we provide the FD-258 card(s). Payment: Cash or Credit Card Our office is located on bottom floor of the court house. Office door faces the lower parking lot. There is a flag pole outside front door. Parking out front of Sheriff‘s Office. Our address is: Orange County Sheriff Office 106 East Margaret Ln., Hillsborough, NC. 27278

Is there a Warrant for my arrest?

We will look up your information for you. We must have full name, date of birth and address.

I have a question about the jail.

Please contact the jail at: 919.245.2940

How do I apply for a gun purchase permit?

To apply for a pistol purchase permit Go to Orange County web page look under Forms drop down to Pistol purchase for instructions or you are welcome to come into the Sheriff’s Office to fill out the forms. You must be an Orange County resident. Driver’s license must state your current address. There will be a charge of $5.00 per each permit; payment may be cash or credit card. Our address is: Orange County Sheriff Office 106 East Margaret Ln., Hillsborough, NC. 27278

How do I obtain a conceal carry permit or how do I renew my conceal carry permit?

You must use the website: under the forms section choose “new conceal carry” and then select “Let’s get started” to submit or renew conceal carry permits. A New Concealed Handgun Permit costs $90.00, which includes the $10.00 fingerprinting fee. A Renewal Concealed Handgun Weapon costs $80.00 Learning the laws regulating the use of firearms is a must for responsible ownership. Local regulations differ and laws vary from state to state. Citizens must check with the jurisdiction where the gun is to be used. The Sheriff and his staff are required to follow strict state guidelines when performing the necessary background checks for Concealed Handgun Permits. Due to the nature of the detail, due diligence, appointment times and processing times can take multiple weeks. During the application process, you will be asked to schedule an appointment (for New and Renewal Concealed Handgun Permits). Please note that you will be asked to pay now to reserve your appointment. Concealed Handgun Permits must be obtained from the county sheriff of your county of residence. If you are RENEWING a Concealed Handgun Permit, you MUST apply PRIOR to your expiration date, but no more than 90 days prior to the expiration date. If your permit has EXPIRED, but it has been LESS than 60 days since the permit expired, you will be required to apply as a NEW APPLICANT, be fingerprinted, and pay the $90.00 fee, but you will not be required to submit a new training certificate. If more than 60 has passed since your permit EXPIRED, you must retake the CONCEALED HANDGUN TRAINING COURSE, apply as a NEW APPLICANT, and submit the NEW TRAINING CERTIFICATE with the application.

Will the Sheriff’s Office do my employment background Check?

The Clerk of Court does background checks. Their office is in the Court House.

What are the laws for shooting a firearm on private property?

The information is on our web site under Public information drop down to county ordinances. We always have a Sheriff Deputy in your area that can answer your questions.

I have a court date and no one answers the phone or calls me back in the Clerk of Court.

Please try again main number 919-644-4500
Civil 919-644-4525
Criminal 919-644-4545
Jury 919-644-4515
Estates 919-644-4570

Where do I go to pay off my traffic ticket?

Call Clerk of Court 919-644-4500

I had a wreck on HWY 40 and how do I get a copy of the report?

Call Highway Patrol 919-732-2551

What’s the difference between a 50B and a 50C?

50B deals with Domestic Violence. 50C deals with sexual assualts and stalking. 50B Details: Parties have or have had a DV relationship (husband/wife; girlfriend/boyfriend; parent/child; grandparent/grandchild; opposite sex dating relationship; current/former household member. Enforceable by arrest and the contempt powers of the court. Filed electronically; have to be filed no later than 11:45am. Can be filed in the Sheriff's Office office
50C Details:
Relationships not covered under the DV statute (Coworkers; Strangers; Acquaintances; same sex dating relationship; etc.). Only enforceable by the contempt powers of the court. Filed using paper forms.
The Sheriff's Office does NOT file these since they are not enforceable by arrest. They can be filed in the Clerk’s Office.

Can you assist me with child custody?

No, we are not attorneys. We can only assist with 50B(Domestic Violence Protection Orders), which under certain circumstances, can include custody of children.

What is the county noise ordinance.

The information is on our web site under Public information drop down to county ordinances and scroll toward the bottom of the page to read the full details of the ordinance.

Where is the Magistrate’s Office and Clerk of Court located?

Magistrate's Office address is: 125 Court St. Hillsborough, NC. 27278 Clerk of Court address is: 106 E. Margaret Ln. Hillsborough, NC. 27278

I have a 50-B filed against my partner, but they have some of my personal belongings at the house. Is there any way I can gather my belongings?

Yes, you may gather some of your personal belongings from the residence or location as long as you request law enforcement assistance you to do so. Deputies will meet with you at a prearranged location and drive to the residence with you and keep the peace as you gather your belongings. If there are any questions over property disputes, you must go to the civil courts to have the order adjusted.

How do I start the eviction process?

Contact the Sheriff’s Office at 919.245.2900 and ask to speak with someone in the Civil Division, or visit our website:, navigate to “Divisions” and choose “Civil Process”. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select “The Eviction Procedures for Tenants and Landlords”. This document will step you through the process.